Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Donna Summer Style



Whenever I'm in a bad mood, one thing that perks me up is blasting my Donna Summer greatest hits while I'm driving.

There is something so deliciously catchy about her rhythmic pop beats and sultry voice that totally lifts my spirits. It makes me want to dance. It makes me want to sing. It makes me want to love to love you, baby.

Well, this stunning 70s glam queen is not just a disco legend, she's also one of the greatest fashion icons in history.



Her glittery, sexy stage costumes were breathtakingly fabulous.



She never failed to seduce your eyes with a single pose.



Her style represented an era besieged by flower-adorned hippies, funky disco cats, and fresh-faced American pie youth in faded blue jeans.



With Hollywood-esque beauty and superstardom in her grasp, she epitomized the changing world of pop music.



Her success is astounding. She has won five Grammy's. She was the first artist to have three consecutive double albums reach #1 on the US Billboard chart. She also had four #1 hits in the US within a 13 month period.



I'm not gonna lie, despite her glamorous and enviable life, Donna hasn't been without her own dramas. When she shot to fame in the 1970s, it caused the 20-something-year-old to spiral out of control. She grew extremely depressed and attempted suicide several times. In 1979, however, she became a born-again Christian, which appears to have saved her life.

Today she lives in Nashville with her husband. She has three daughters (one who is even a gorgeous model) and four grandchildren.



Below, I have created an outfit inspired by Donna Summer's style from the 1970s. Do you like it?

Donna Summer 1


What do you think of Donna Summer's style?

36 comments:

Meri said...

She is totally glam and I love her buttery disco voice!

Amber Lucas A Mused Blog said...

I love the outfit you've created! I need me some Donna Summers!

Marionberry Style said...

Wow...I didn't know she tried to commit suicide. Donna is one of my all-time favorites...so that kinda makes me sad! But so glad to hear that she is living a full-life now with her family!
Great blog post!!
XO - Marion

Josie said...

She's so 70s gla -- I love.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Ioana-Carmen said...

Lovely post! Like it !

http://www.fashionspot.ro/

Sarah said...

Love the look you've put together!
x

Swarnali said...

I haven't heard any of hers. Added to my download list. She sure was fab. I loved the outfit you created :D

The Blonde Duck said...

Fabulous!

Chicago Chic said...

Wow I had no idea she was so fashionable! Love her style.

xo
Rachel

Ramblings of a Redhead said...

Sooooo awesome. Love love love!

Tights Lover said...

I always knew she had an amazing voice, but I definitely love her style too.

I absolutely love the look you created. I think it fits her style perfectly!

Jhomaira Agüero said...

hi thank you for your lovely comment! nice blog, i will follow you, if you like you could follow me back :) kisses from egypt!

http://sticktofashion.blogspot.com/

Annie L said...

Gotta love 70's glam. Love her big hair and feminine style.
xo Annie
newenglandromance.blogspot.com

Liz Beechwood said...

Wow, love the red shoes in your own mix in the last picture. And I think Donna looks fabulous in all of the pics and I somehow like this old style more than some the high fashion photos nowadays!
Thanks for ur sweet comment, by the way! :)

Have a lovely week!

xxx Lizzy from Fashion-BlaBla
http://lizbeechwood.blogspot.com/

Couture Carrie said...

Awesome post, darling!
Love the bio and your collage!

xoxox,
CC

Miss Psycho Cat said...

She is great, I really like that you wrote about her :)

Constance Murphy said...

Love her style!

http://runwaymeeting.blogspot.com/

Kelly { MessyDirtyHair } said...

i love donna summer! what is your favorite song of hers? or what song of hers do u listen to when your in a bad mood? its funny i usually listen to the Used or taking bad sunday when im pissed haha! thank you for visting my blog earlier, hope you'll join!

xo MessyDirtyHair.com

Anonymous said...

great style sense

thanks for visiting my blog, hope you return soon ;-)

www.cottoncandyinkbeauty.com

www.mommyalldolledup.com

Bonnie said...

I want to dress like her. She is super fierce. Like whoa.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Bravoe Runway said...

She is fab! I remember in the movie Selena where I think she said something about Donna being her idol!

chibiaion said...

Shes fabulous dear! No wonder shes your mood lifter. She knows how to dress with elegance and glamor.

buy aion account

noone said...

ohh Donna Summers... I still listen to her songs!

A Very Sweet Blog said...

Hey Jennifer! Great post! I've always loved Donna Summer. I have her on my ipod (last dance, she works hard for the money and love is in control). I even liked it when she sang unconditional love. HAHA Your outfit post is right on point. Thank you for your comment yesterday. As you know I followed you for a long time, and it wasn't about you not leaving a comment everyday but for awhile i didn't hear from you at all and questioned whether or not you even liked me or wanted to be bothered. HAHAHA So I stopped. Which was horrible on my part, because I assumed. You can definitely spend all morning, afternoon and evening trying to respond to everyone. You will have NO life. I don't know how others can do it either. Sometimes I have time and sometimes I don't. So I understand how you feel. Your comment really clarified everything for me. You only lost me temporarily. I'm back! ((HUG))
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Courtney Erin said...

It's nice to hear about turning their life around!

Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

lauren said...

dude, now i really want/need a vintage halston gown to rock some donna 70's glam.

and omg yes, you would look amaze-balls in a hot pink blazer. yes. yes. yes. love it.

http://laurenlanzaosias.blogspot.com

Bronzed Humanity said...

DONNA SUMMERS RULES! Love her! Nice board!
xx

Hot Pink Day
Shop Blue Vanilla

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Love her music AND her style...You channeled her perfectly with your set!

Unknown said...

Great pics!

http://whatkimmididnext.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog as it led me to your lively site! I'm now happily following! Care to follow back?

xx
Kecia
http://www.couturezooblog.com/

The Dragonfruit said...

Wow, she has such glam style! Such an inspiration too <3
Great outfit you came up with for her style too :)

http://www.trendyteal.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Wow she is absolutely gorgeous!

>'.'<

when BABI speaks said...

love her dresses! she looks so classy!

Babi
www.whenbabispeaks.com

Cafe Fashionista said...

I swear I'm going to be singing 'On the Radio' for the rest of the day now that I've read this! :P

A Fine Balance said...

She is stunning! going to listen to her now :)

Heather said...

I love this style - it's so diva glam!

XO
www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com