Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Book Review: Furious Love



I recently finished one of the best non-fiction books I have read in a very, very long time. The book is called Furious Love and it chronicles the rocky romance of Hollywood royalty, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.



Diving into the book, I only knew the bare minimum about the famous mega-couple. Growing up, I had often heard references from the media and my parents about "Liz & Dick." I knew their romance and two marriages were considered shockingly scandalous. I knew they fought a lot and drank a lot.



But this book really opened my eyes. I truly had no idea how much their romance rocked the world.



Elizabeth and Richard met and fell in love while filming the epic, financially disastrous Cleopatra in 1960. Both were married to other people at the time.



The scandal created a frenzy that puts Brangelina to shame. The two were bombarded in private and in public by hungry paparazzi and journalists, who were desperate to capture risque photos of the two lovers.



Elizabeth and Richard didn't care about the havoc they caused or the people they hurt. They were completely and utterly in love. They were obsessed with each other. They eventually wed in 1964.



The Vatican condemned the home-wrecking couple, the U.S. Senate tried to pass a law revoking Elizabeth's citizenship, and the Mexican government even tried to prevent the couple from vacationing there because it didn't want the "American trash" to corrupt their beautiful landscape.



But the two remained devoted to each other, despite the bad press. Elizabeth and Richard rearranged their filming schedules so they were never apart. They even filmed numerous movies together, including my personal favorite, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?.



The luxurious lifestyle these two movie stars shared was absolutely mind-blowing. They jet-setted around the world in private planes and million-dollar yachts. They partied with European royalty and drank champagne like water.

Plus, Richard wouldn't hesitate to spend millions of dollars on sparkling diamonds for his raven-haired bride.



During their decade of marriage, they were the most famous people in the entire world.



Unfortunately, it was a romance between two people who had too much in common. Their alcohol dependency ruined their marriage and almost ruined their lives. Their dramatic, violent fights were also wearing them down.



Although their two marriages didn't last, it was an eternal romance. Furious Love illustrates how underneath the media obsession, Elizabeth and Richard had one of the greatest love stories ever told.

Elizabeth Taylor contributed to this book, before her death, by giving exclusive interviews and also allowing dozens of Richard's love letters to be published. This intimate portrait of two soul mates took my breath away.

Their love was heartbreaking. It was magical. It was real.

I highly recommend Furious Love. In fact, I insist that you pick it up from your local library or bookstore immediately.

You may just fall in love with love.

26 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, will be picking this up soon!
x

Andrés Corella said...

Well Mrs. Fabulous has said and I happily oblige haha I´m buying the book! It looks interesting besides (i know it will sound awful) but I usually don´t read non-fiction books..cause I really really really like fiction haha...but I will give this a try!

xx
Andy
The Black Label

joei ♥ said...

Interesting read! And they really were a power couple, weren't they? ;)

Definitely, Maybe

Emily Gray said...

that such a cool story. i have to admit i had never heard of them before! i love the last line of your post. its fabulous!

saywhatyourheartwants.blogspot.com

Couture Carrie said...

Love all these pics!
Will have to check out the book!

xoxox,
CC

Courtney Erin said...

I've always been really fascinated by them - I'll have to check out that book!


xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.com

Movies on my Mind said...

I heard that on his deathbed, Burton famously said: “She still fascinates me;” ever so cosmic was their love for one another.

This book sounds good, though I’m tempted to wait for the inevitable movie adaptation.

Amber Lucas A Mused Blog said...

So crazy. I've had a love like that once: minus all the money (very poor, actually). It was a dangerous, violent, alienating love.

Those never last long. They can't. Someone will end up dead if they do.

This sounds like such a brilliant book. A must read!


Ambersmouthwash

Sherin said...

I can't believe their wedding was so controversial. It's always great to have a good love story.

Bel said...

I HAVE to get this book. Did they ever get divorced???

Belly B :)

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

You're right, they put Brangelina to shame. These two are one of the sexiest, most glamorous couples in history. It's mind-boggling that, as recently as the 60s, the governments reacted that way. I really enjoyed this post and will keep an eye out for the book.
Cheers.
xoRobyn

Josie said...

This sounds fantastic! What a romance.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Once Upon A Time... said...

this sounds interesting to read, because although i know who elisabeth is, i never actually read in depth about her! so thanks for sharing!

jos xx

♥ Sadie ♥ said...

Lovely review, i need to buy this.

Sadie xx

www.brandnewbutterflywings.com

Cafe Fashionista said...

Ah, this sounds like such an incredible book - I LOVE Elizabeth Taylor! :)

Alyssa said...

Sounds amazing! Thinking I should check out this book...or maybe, I think I just might CRY! This book sounds amazing and solemn. They looked so happy ha. Well, things go how they go ha. On a happier note, thank you for commenting on my blog! I greatly appreciate it!

beautyandfashionmashup.blogspot.com
-Alyssa from The BF Mashup

little luxury list said...

It sounds like a beautiful book - thanks for the recommendation!

p.s. Yes I am an awesome wife. My husband got a great birthday party with Northern Indian food AND a Mac mini!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

StyleIDnet said...

Wow, it sounds intense.... I thought it was more physical & that was it.
I love biographic stories, will add this to my list.

http://styleidnet.blogspot.com/
http://styleidcloset.blogspot.com/

Oh to Be a Muse said...

i noticed on goodreads and on facebook that you really, really loved this book. i'll have to check it out!

Audrey Allure said...

Just reading your post - this book sounds stellar! I am definitely interested. Going to check it out!

FashionJazz said...

Sounds interesting : ) Happy Sunday babe xx

Bonnie said...

I want to buy the book. Now. Like, right now. You always make me want to buy stuff. I hate you. And by hate, I mean love. Because I really love you.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

stylenuggets said...

Furious Love is the best way to describe their love. They couldn't live with or without each other.

Meri said...

I never knew very much about Liz taylor or her romantic life- it sounds really interesting though! I like reading bios a lot too, easier for me to get into than fiction!

Tanvi said...

Sounds so intense!!! Love that kinda love :)

♡ from © tanvii.com

Marie said...

Thanks for sharing, I will keep this interesting book in mind!:D

***** Marie *****
allthingsmarie.com